Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Crest of the Peacock introduction

When reading, one thing that surprised me was how intertwined the flow of mathematics was between different civilizations. I didn't realize there was so much cross-cultural exchange happening, especially considering how much harder communication and travel between different nations would have been at the time. I usually think of mathematical ideas as being developed by individual civilizations, so it was interesting to learn about how ideas could be shared and built upon across different cultures.

I also found it interesting that the words “algebra” and “algorithm” have Arabic roots. I never really thought about where these words that we use often even came from, and I did not realize how much the Arabic and Islamic world contributed to mathematics. I was already aware of some of the major contributions from India, but I hadn’t considered the contributions from the Arabic world to the same extent. It made me realize the history of mathematics is so global and vast. Even though I’ve taken a course on the history of mathematics before, I think I barely even touched the tip of the iceberg.

Another thing that surprised me was learning about the Maya and their astronomical observations and calendar construction. As I read it, I wondered how they were able to accomplish such an impressive feat with the technology available to them at the time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did Mesopotamian scribes have algebra?

Without algebra and algebraic notation, I think general mathematical principles could still be explained, but they would be much more wordy....