Sunday, September 20, 2026

History of Time Calculations

I never really questioned the way we divide time because 24 hours, 60 minutes, and 60 seconds feel so natural to me. When I think about hours, I picture a clock with 12 numbers, even though there are actually 24 hours in a day. It made me think about how much of the way I understand time comes from human-made systems. I also wonder whether there could be a more optimized way to divide time. Our current system seems so fixed, but it’s not perfect, as the Scientific American article discusses how there can be a minute with 61 seconds. 

When I think about a year, I usually picture 12 months, but I also think of the 4 seasons. Since I’ve always lived in Vancouver, the seasons are fairly noticeable, so I tend to experience a year more as a cycle through spring, summer, fall, and winter rather than as 365 consistent or different days. I hadn't really thought about these different ways of visualizing time before, but I can imagine everyone visualizes something different based on their own background. For example, I believe Americans use the 12-hour AM/PM format, while people overseas are more accustomed to using military time. 

I found the differences between the two articles interesting when discussing the Babylonian base-60 system. The Scientific American article focuses more on why 60 is useful, since it has many factors and can be divided in many different ways, which the Babylonian numerals article mentions too. However, the Babylonian numerals article also discusses several theories about why 60 was actually chosen in the first place, without there being one definite explanation. I was also surprised to learn that the Babylonians inherited the base-60 system from the Sumerians, and I think it’s so interesting that there are so many theories as to why the number 60 was chosen. It makes me wonder if the actual reason could be something historians haven’t even thought about yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did Mesopotamian scribes have algebra?

Without algebra and algebraic notation, I think general mathematical principles could still be explained, but they would be much more wordy....